So yesterday comes the news of Tim Howard being suspended for the next 3 games due to an altercation with a fan after the game at Sporting KC last week. Story here.
The Rapids grab a much needed road win and 3 points from Sporting.
The GOOD – It’s not just a win, but a road win! What they couldn’t do in Salt Lake last week, they managed to do at Sporting. Solignac scored his second in as many games. Gashi gets his first goal, the game winner. Pappa with another assist. The Rapids played to win and not just hold on for a draw and a point.
The BAD – Poor defending, with a depleted line up due to injuries, etc, players are left playing out of position. Showing itself especially on the Dwyer goal leaving him unmarked in the box from the corner kick.
The UGLY – There wasn’t much ugly about this game
The Rapids are now 3-2-1, 10 points in the Western Conference
Feb 24 – Rapids lose 4-1 to Sporting KC. Rapids took a beating allowing 4 goals to Sporting, 3 of those on penalties.
Feb 25 – Rapids trade for international spot. Adding to what’s been one the most busy off seasons in Rapids history, they trade allocation monies with San Jose for an international slot.
Feb 27 – Gashi with a goal and an assist in 3-0 win over Arizona United SC. Rapids DP Shkelzen Gashi opens his scoring account albeit preseason. Will his assist on Doyle’s goal in the 31st minute be a common sight this season on pitches all around the MLS in 2016? Rapids fans can only hope so.
Only 7 days until the start of the MLS season.
I know it’s only preseason, but if this were the regular season, the Rapids who lead for a majority of the game holding 3 points in their grasp. Sporting scored in the 77th and the tying goal in the 78th minute, both goals coming after the Rapids were playing down a man on the ejection of Francisco Flores in the 75th minute.
Again it’s only preseason but this is where the Rapids have to begin to tighten the screws and bolts as they head into the start of the new season and a loss like this can hopefully serve as a learning point moving forward. Points dropped during the season like this will serve as another long season for the Rapids and their fans.
Dominque Badji and Gaby Torres both scored for the Rapids with assists from Lucas Pittinari and Vicente Sanchez. Zac MacMath was in net for the Rapids. If you include the preseason game against UNLV, then the Rapids are 1-1-1 so far this preseason.
Rapids will play their next preseason game of the Desert Diamond Cup against the New England Revolution this Saturday.
Finally finally finally! MLS released their 2015 full schedule today!
Full schedule here,
Rapids schedule here.
Along with the release of the new schedule comes an expanded playoff system which will add 2 more teams bringing the total to 12 and begin just 3 days after the end of the regular season. Really not much time for any build up leading towards the playoffs.
The good, the bad and the ugly of it all is this.
– The battle for the Rocky Mountain Cup this year will again be a 3 match event. The Rapids will host Salt Lake twice this year (July 12th & Oct 3rd) and play at Rio Tinto on June 7th.
– Rapids home opener is against NYCFC on March 21st.
– Despite the Rapids not playing Salt Lake during either of the two Rivalry week(s) this season, the Rapids will be playing Sporting KC during both weekends. A rival if in no other reason but close proximity and conference. Sporting supporters travel well, if you remember last season at DSGP, so it should be a fun atmosphere.
– Rivalry Week(ends) June 26-28 and Aug 28-30, the Rocky Mountain Cup against Salt Lake isnt featured in either weekend. In my opinion this kinda let’s you know what the league thinks about the Cup and the competition. Sure the intensity has died down a bit between the teams but in my opinion, Rivalry week should be all rivalries regardless of how the league office views them. There is some great history between a lot of teams.
– No Orlando City SC on the home schedule. I guess they still have bad memories of a beat down in the US Open Cup match played here last season.
– Rapids play opening weekend on the road at Philadelphia, off the following week and then open at home the 3rd week of the season. A break in the second week of the season is not necessary.
– The expanded playoffs to 12 teams. Dont like it not because like most who feel it makes the regular season meaningless, but because the playoffs take too long to get through. And this year with a FIFA break in the middle, the playoffs will not conclude until mid December after starting Oct 28th.
– The season cant get here quick enough!