The second Rapids player to go on loan within a week as Berner makes his way to Phoenix to join the USL’s Rising F.C. Last week it was Caleb Calvert loaned out to the Rapids USL affiliate Charlotte Independence.
Kudos to Kroenke for getting involved with donating to the Red Cross. Stay safe everyone in the Carolinas and the rest of the Southeast with Irma approaching.
A lot going on today in Rapids world. Starting with the big news of the day with Dillon Powers.
Thank you Dillon Powers for all that you did in your time here with the Rapids. Best of luck to Sam Hamilton in his loan to Phoenix Rising FC. Sam if not recalled back to the first team before then, will return to Colorado when Phoenix visits Weidner Field to take on the Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Sept 9th. Congrats to the Charlotte Independence on growing their current unbeaten streak to 12 games.
A couple of picks from the 2016 MLS Super Draft were waived today by the Colorado Rapids, announced earlier. Neither Emmanuel Appiah (1st Rd, 15th pick) and Chris Froschauer(2nd Rd, 43rd pick) featured in any games for the Rapids, both spending the 2016 season with USL affiliate, Charlotte Independence. Appiah made 2 appearances, committing one foul in 24 minutes for the Independence and Froschauer made no appearances for the Independence this season. Full story here.
The Rapids USL affiliate in just their 2nd season open the 2016 campaign at home against Louisville City FC. Game time is 7pm eastern and can be found here.
Maybe we’ll see Rapids players Emmanuel Appiah or Caleb Calvert make an appearance. Both players were loaned to Charlotte on March 18.
Best of luck this season to the Charlotte Independence and Jack’s Militia!
Charlotte Independence defender Marlon Hairston on loan from the Rapids was named the USL Player of the week and also to the USL team of the week after recording one goal and an assist in a 3-0 win against the Richmond Kickers. The win over Richmond was the second in a row for the Independence. Full story here.
Rapids USL affiliate Charlotte Independence grab their first win of the season with a 1-0 win over Louisville City FC. John Berner gets the clean sheet for Charlotte with 6 saves and handing Louisville City their first loss of the season. Charlotte (1-2-2) moves up to 8th in the Eastern Conference from the 11th spot with 5 points. Charlotte takes much needed momentum into their next match Friday at home against Richmond.
Rapids take the pitch in a little over an hour against the Galaxy, let’s hope the Rapids can emulate their USL affiliate tonight and get a win as well.
Marlon Hairston who has yet to feature for the Rapids this season due to injury has been loaned to the Rapids USL affiliate Charlotte Independence. Full story here.
The Rapids have loaned John Berner, Charles Eloundou, Caleb Calvert and now Marlon Hairston to Charlotte.
The Independence travel to Wilmington to take on the Wilmington Hammerheads FC Friday night, gametime 5pm Mountain on YouTube.
The Rapids USL affiliate Charlotte Independence play in their first ever game of their first season in the USL against the Charleston Battery at 7pm Eastern. USL matches are all broadcast on YouTube. Live stream here.
Here in no particular order are 5 things I consider the Rapids excelled at this season.
1. An aggressive marketing campaign at the start of season and throughout the World Cup. Billboards were everywhere across the metro area and let’s not forget the return of the Colorado Rapids “Colorado for Life” wrap on an RTD light rail train too!
(photo credit – coloradorapids.com)
2. World Soccer Celebration. The World Cup watch parties at Skyline Park this past June were a great idea by the Rapids! 2 huge TV screens, plenty of World Cup soccer watched, Rapids player appearances, food, drinks, and activities for the kids! Great time!
3. Expanding the brand. Last season the Rapids expanded their brand east to North Carolina with the renaming of the North Mecklenburg Soccer to the Carolina Rapids, adding them as partners in their youth development academy. This season the brand expands again with the Rapids partnering with new USL Pro club, Charlotte Independence beginning in 2015.
4. Ciao Telecom kit sponsorship. Hinchey and company finally bringing a jersey sponsor to the club for the first time in team’s 19 year history. It’s a welcome addition and a good look on the jersey. Let’s hope it remains, with news earlier in the week of the Rapids suing the parent company of Ciao Telecom for missed sponsorship payments.
5. TV coverage. The Rapids broadcasts on Altitude continued to improve this year. The pre and post-game segments as well as Rapids Report are all well done. Richard Fleming, Marcelo Balboa and company are doing great things in promoting the game, the club and its players, while at the same time remaining honest in their critiquing of the performance on the field.
Surely if there’s 5 things I can find the Rapids did well, then you know there have to be 5 things they didnt do well. That’s coming in the near future! As well as on the field versions too!