- Watts has successful shoulder surgery…(coloradorapids.com)
- Sjoberg named to MLS Team of the Week…(coloradorapids.com)
The second Rapids player to go on loan within a week as Berner makes his way to Phoenix to join the USL’s Rising F.C. Last week it was Caleb Calvert loaned out to the Rapids USL affiliate Charlotte Independence.
- Berner goes on loan to USL’s Phoenix Rising FC…(phxrisingfc.com) (coloradorapids.com)
- Independence match against Charleston postponed this weekend due to Hurricane Irma…(charlotteindependence.com)
- Kroenke donates $1 million to American Red Cross for Harvey relief efforts…(coloradorapids.com)
Kudos to Kroenke for getting involved with donating to the Red Cross. Stay safe everyone in the Carolinas and the rest of the Southeast with Irma approaching.
A lot going on today in Rapids world. Starting with the big news of the day with Dillon Powers.
- Midfield swap, Powers traded to Orlando City for Luis Gil…(coloradorapids.com)
- Rapids loan Sam Hamilton to Phoenix Rising FC…(colroadorapids.com)
- Independence unbeaten streak continues on after 2-2 draw with TFC2…(uslsoccer.com)
Thank you Dillon Powers for all that you did in your time here with the Rapids. Best of luck to Sam Hamilton in his loan to Phoenix Rising FC. Sam if not recalled back to the first team before then, will return to Colorado when Phoenix visits Weidner Field to take on the Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Sept 9th. Congrats to the Charlotte Independence on growing their current unbeaten streak to 12 games.
A look at some of today’s headlines leading up to 5th round action tonight in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, Rapids @ FC Dallas.
- Rapids at FC Dallas, Round 5 US Open Cup preview…(sbisoccer.com)
- U23s face FC Boulder tonight at DSGP…(coloradorapids.com)
- Rapids U16s & U18s advance to knockout stages in academy playoffs…(coloradorapids.com)
- Dillon Serna, FC Dallas, one year later…(denverpost.com)
I’m hoping for an upset tonight against FC Dallas in the 5th round of the US Open Cup but let’s be honest, it’s not gonna happen. Unless Pablo transforms himself in Pep Guardiola, or Antonio Conte, the Rapids will likely end their US Open Cup run in the same fashion as last year and to the same team. Match can be watched online at ussoccer.com, kickoff 6pm(MT). I think we can expect Pablo to rest most of the bigger names tonight against FC Dallas ahead of this weekend’s league matchup with the Houston Dynamo on Saturday. Gashi now back from injury may see the pitch some tonight.
The U23s match tonight at DSGP couldn’t come at worse time (seriously no pun intended) with kickoff half an hour before the Rapids kickoff with FC Dallas at 6pm.
It’s matchday for the Rapids as they face the LA Galaxy tonight at DSGP, kick off 7:00. In the meantime here are a couple of headlines for today.
- Rapids name Ryan Madden Director of Communications…(coloradorapids.com)
- Former Rapids striker Deshorn Brown returns to MLS, signs with DC United…(washingtonpost.com)
Best of luck to Ryan Madden in his new position as Rapids Director of Communications. Also best of luck to Deshorn Brown in his second stint in MLS. Brown will make his first return to DSGP with DC United against the Rapids August 19th.