Here in no particular order are 5 things I consider the Rapids excelled at this season.
1. An aggressive marketing campaign at the start of season and throughout the World Cup. Billboards were everywhere across the metro area and let’s not forget the return of the Colorado Rapids “Colorado for Life” wrap on an RTD light rail train too!
(photo credit – coloradorapids.com)
2. World Soccer Celebration. The World Cup watch parties at Skyline Park this past June were a great idea by the Rapids! 2 huge TV screens, plenty of World Cup soccer watched, Rapids player appearances, food, drinks, and activities for the kids! Great time!
3. Expanding the brand. Last season the Rapids expanded their brand east to North Carolina with the renaming of the North Mecklenburg Soccer to the Carolina Rapids, adding them as partners in their youth development academy. This season the brand expands again with the Rapids partnering with new USL Pro club, Charlotte Independence beginning in 2015.
4. Ciao Telecom kit sponsorship. Hinchey and company finally bringing a jersey sponsor to the club for the first time in team’s 19 year history. It’s a welcome addition and a good look on the jersey. Let’s hope it remains, with news earlier in the week of the Rapids suing the parent company of Ciao Telecom for missed sponsorship payments.
5. TV coverage. The Rapids broadcasts on Altitude continued to improve this year. The pre and post-game segments as well as Rapids Report are all well done. Richard Fleming, Marcelo Balboa and company are doing great things in promoting the game, the club and its players, while at the same time remaining honest in their critiquing of the performance on the field.
Surely if there’s 5 things I can find the Rapids did well, then you know there have to be 5 things they didnt do well. That’s coming in the near future! As well as on the field versions too!